View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In 99% of the cases I have observed (in 60k hoursworking on cars), the resistance is not in the wires, but in the connections. Set your volt meter to voltage close to your batteries capacity. Touch the various suspected connections with the probes. When you find any voltage reading, then you have found the source of the resistance. Clean that connection and recheck your work with the volt meter.

I cleaned the ground connection on my Fiesta after reading about problems and that single connection being the source of many low voltage issues causing numerous problems among which is transmission shift quality. The ground connection is bolted to the left strut tower and there is only one ground connection from battery to everything else.

Ground issues typically cause mulitple problems when many systems are dependent on the same ground wire. Low voltage drives computer controlled systems crazy.

Separate frame trucks need a good ground from battery to engine, frame, and chassis so ground issues are more prevalent on this type of vehicle construction (separate frame and body).

regards
Mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (03-10-2014), RedDevil (03-09-2014)