View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
vwecopower
EcoModding Lurker

Valerie - '12 Volkswagen CC Sport
90 day: 34.07 mpg (US)
First, thanks for all of the inputs everyone! I wanted to provide an update: I had an 93 octane specific ECU tune installed on my car a couple of weeks back. In addition to increasing boost pressure at high rpms it advances engine timing. I averaged 34 mpg on the highway driving with load. On my daily commute my PnG efforts did not show much improvement still 32 mpg in the morning and 35-36 in the evening. I did a control test over the past week using conservative driving practices without PnG. Shifting at 2k rpms, accelerating slowly, coasting down the backsides of bridges, and avoiding cruise control like the devil I saw 31.5 avg for my morning commute and 36.2 for my evening commute. This tells me there's a clear flaw somewhere in my PnG technique. What's more it tells me that I should be able to break the 40 mpg mark with proper technique on my evening commute.

Over the next week I'm going to try 50% throttle pulsing to 2k rpms and I'll report back with my results. Any other suggestions or comments are welcome!