View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Look to a vehicle where survival issues are addressed. Shelter, water, heat (warmth & cooking) are what matter. Electricity is nearly a non-starter, it is not central, certainly not important (outside of runnning the vehicle). Get priorities straight, first. Water capacity is the limiting factor as to how long one can go without outside inputs.

A travel trailer is the easiest way to have all-weather shelter without hookups (short of winter or depth of summer) and, in the U.S., CASITA is the brand to explore at the start. Use it as default. "All weather" means staying inside for days if need be. Or, if sick or injured. The range of tow vehicles is broad, but they may not include the high mpg cars. Ones initial cost, the purchase, is where the savings exist.

I live full time in a travel trailer. It doesn't move often, and isn't likely to in the future as compared to the miles on the tow vehicle. Keeping miles low on the TV is the key to lowest fuel consumption over a years time. The in-transit miles of an articulated rig have to be set against what services are needed that this combined vehicle doesn't provide. The more the better, IMO, so far as being independent is concerned. When one is farther from services or providers, "small" as to rig size may also mean more trips to & fro which cancel putative savings on a per-mile basis. Fewer miles, overall, can be the winning strategy over lowest vehicle fuel cpm.

I presently work in the oilfield and am simply one of many thousands using a travel trailer in which to live. Ground rent and utility service are relatively low in price as compared to traditional housing. The savings, if any, are in avoiding debt on vehicles (TT and TV) and in the ease of moving on to another location. Convenience is weighed against time, and it is worth paying for basic amenities so as not to be dependent on outsiders (retailers) who will nickel & dime (five and ten) you to death. I may be gone for days at a time for work and no ice chest (with daily infusions of $2 of ice) is any substitute for a refrigerator, or that the dollar menu at a crap-food joint is acceptable either. Vehicle operating expenses, along with highly subsidized fuel, work hand-in-hand with per diem (travel) expenses. There is reason for this. Does ones "plan" make feasible tax deductions for living in this manner? If not I suggest a harder look at what happens to disposable income in these situations.

30 or more gallons of water is basic to my mind, and food storage be it refrigerated or dry is also basic. Canned food is heavy, and there are few to none who would choose to live on expensive MRE's. The more dependent one is on outside suppliers, the more one is exposed to all sorts of potential problems (expenses). There is a point where being a marginal member of society becomes too high in risk.

So, what is the larger force that drives inquiries like these? A society that no longer works (adequate jobs in number and compensation) is foremost. Older solutions include boarding houses or room rentals with kitchen privileges. These worked better with next to no transportation investment needed as one could walk, or ride the bus or train. Being mobile is an enormous expense, and fraught with penalties such as the lack of a permanent address and is not well suited when sick or injured as one is amongst strangers, etc. Sacrificing all else in favor of being able to drive around and talk on the phone (Facebook) is the wrong approach.

As I said -- and know -- electricity is optional, not central to what really matters. Get this part straight in mind first. Net access is a great deceiver however much paltry comfort we take in it.