View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Most of those posts seem to come from immature people that only think one way. These are probably the same people who want to go fast all the time, spend $1,000's on their cars to make them faster, street race, etc. When I was young, I used to say the same thing, “Why did you buy a fast car to drive it slow”. A few years ago I realized that people are free to drive the car of their choosing, however they want. I never called someone “retarded” though; that seems pretty harsh.

I like the comments about driving like an idiot and pissing everyone off. Sure, it’s the hypermilers that drive badly, not the above immature person flying down the interstate in their STi (Civic, SRT, Corvette, Camaro, lifted truck, whatever) at 10-20-30 etc mph over the speed limit. We aren’t the problem.

I used to have an SRT-4. Forum members were getting 16-24 mpg. Even when I first got the car, I was getting 28 mpg hwy. I drove pretty normally. Once I found this website, I was able to get over 30 mpg highway. Most forum members couldn’t believe it (some of them didn’t even know how to check their gas mileage). They could not grasp that not everyone with a fast car drives it fast. That forum’s average age was probably about 19. I was 26 at the time. I also loved that those kids were dropping $1,200 on the newest turbo, $400 on a tuner, $1,500 on wheels, just to have a faster car to drive to work or college. I almost dumped money into that car, but luckily, I didn’t. The saddest part was that most of them put it on credit cards. The one thread went something like this, “My buddy has an 11 second car and we are supposed to race next weekend. I have an $XXX credit limit, what should I buy to beat him?” These are some of the kids making fun of your lawn edging.

You are doing something different. Whenever someone deviates from the norm, people react to it. “Oh no, look at him, he put lawn edging on his STi”. Don’t worry about the norm. Then again, the norm on this forum is lawn edging, so you’re doing fine!!

Keep up the good work on the STi.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarguy01 For This Useful Post:
jedi_sol (03-12-2014)