View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

Both of you are right to some point and wrong in another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I can't believe you're still on this... honestly.

Rear mounted turbos are more laggy and lose efficiency because latent heat in the exhaust dissipates as it travels through the pipe, reducing the overall pressure across the face of the turbine.

I know that's exactly what answer you were looking for, and you're going to pick one word out of that answer to try to prove your point, but trust me, it doesn't. The fundamental working principle behind turbine engines is pressure. How you get that pressure makes zero difference, as long as it's there.
The crux is the work derived from the mass flow through the turbine. Pressure and temperature provide the impetus to move your working fluid through the turbine which then extracts work from the fluid mass. Higher temperature and pressure in a gas turbine inlet result in potentially greater mass flow into the turbine. A drop in exit pressure and temperature is a direct result of the loss in energy of the working fluid which was transferred to the turbine. The fluid ( or gas as it may ) is assumed constant. Note that lighter (less dense gas or fluid ) will produce less power at a given pressure and temperature. Hydrogen gas will produce less power than steam. Some lab work has been done in the past using vaporized mercury to take advantage of the high specific mass density.