View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
paulgato
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beast - '02 VW Goff Estate S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB2 View Post
FYI, long range shooters understand that right around dawn is the time most likely to have no wind.

Yes, dawn is often a good time.

I don't think acetone helps the lubricity of diesel fuel, which is already lubricity-challenged these days.
Neat acetone is horribly unlubricious of course, but I don't believe that one part in a thousand (or two ounces in a tank-full of diesel) will affect the lubricity of the other 999 parts of diesel one bit.

You can quite safely put 50 parts per thousand (5%) of petrol in a diesel tank with no ill effects, and petrol is also very unlubricious. I'm not suggesting that putting petrol in a diesel tank is a good idea of course, but the breakdown services people reckon that if you do acidentally put up to 10% petrol in your diesel tank then it's fine to just top up with diesel and drive as normal. (But any more than 10%, then drain the tank and flush all fuel lines before even putting the key in the ignition!) Those 30,000 psi common rail or PD diesel pumps are not to be messed with, but a 99.9% diesel/0.1% acetone mix is not going to mess with them.

(Oh yeah, I did actually put 12 litres of unleaded petrol in my diesel tank just a couple of months back. Day-dreaming at the pump. First time ever, and hopefully the last! I had the car trucked the 3 miles back to my driveway and did the whole drain, siphon and flush thing with a new fuel filter n all. Luckily the tank was just about bone dry when I put the petrol in so I only had about 15 litres of contaminated fuel to dispose of.)

The mechanism by which acetone is supposed to help fuel economy is not totally clear, but I have read that it is something to do with reducing surface tension and thereby helping to atomise fuel coming out of the nozzles.