View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #53 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
35mph shouldn't yield too much damage. Someone hit a deer in his Insight at 55mph and is still driving around. He just replaced the hood with a black unprimered one.
Somebody wrote off her car by scooping up a 10 year old that crossed the road without looking for traffic. The speed was not very high and the boy survived the impact with just some bad bruises. That boy is typing this message right now.

I've been in Finland and when I saw a herd of reindeer on the side of the road I came almost to a stop, to study them and just in case. And indeed the herd set in motion and suddenly turned to cross right in front of me. I could just come to a dead stop, would have hit them otherwise. Later on I learned they can be as heavy as 200 kilograms, and high speed collisions often kill the driver as their body smashes through the windscreen. They can be man size high, got a photo of one of my friends head to head with a semi-tame reindeer to prove it.

Whether it is a writeoff or not depends on animal size and weight, speed and good or bad luck.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.