View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #52 (permalink)
Cobb
Master EcoModder

Talking

Tee Hee, no mwebb I read your graphs from the geo forum and I did read the report. I was waiting for a few trolls to post before I came clean.

Notice in some cases there was actually a slight improvement in fuel economy from the dirty vs the clean air filter? I know my insight was plugged up and attempts to free it resulted in less mpg, but more umph from the butt dyno and less mpg.

Red, right. Many cars have a cai built into the air intake system, then the so called CAI kits just have an elbow that plugs into the throttle body and a large cone shape filter that sits right in the engine bay and in many cases in the radiator exhaust stream sucking in HOT HOT HOT air.

Of course many of us who undo some of the plumbing so the engine sucks in warm air from under the hood have seen some gains on short trips under 10 miles, while longer trips you see a drop depending on the engine.

I know my geo didnt mine under hood heat and removal of all the plumbing. Ive seen quite a few sidekick/samurai that have the intake plumbing cut short and a cone shape filter attached to the end undoing the plumbing from sucking cool air from the drivers wheel well.