View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
ColonelPanic
Not guzzling as much...

Chevy Blazer-How the he....

I drive a 95 chevy blazer. Nothing terribly special. I'm into the minitruckin scene so most mods it has are custom non-gas-mileage-related mods. I have a 4.3l central port injected V6, with an MSD coil, and a cone style oiled cotton filter on the end of a tube, connected to the stock intake tubes. Like I said, nothing special. I also have the roof rack shaved, and the suspension lowered 3/2. The trans is a standard 4 speed/OD 4L60E.
I decided to see what I can do on a 400 mile round trip. I should first note that the original EPA rating is 16/21mpg (this was 1995). 13 years later on the way from Willow Grove, PA to Williamsport, PA I simply stuck with the speed limit of 65 and ensured my torque converter was engaged during the entire drive (while on the highway at least) I pulled 22.15mpg. On the way home, I gave drafting a shot (while I would say its probably not the smartest thing to do) and pulled 25mpg on route 80, and approximately 23.5 overall. I was pretty surprised about this. Not sure if I can do much better than that, but I'll see what motor work I can do in the future. Likely nothing crazy, maybe some ac delco rapidfire(?) plugs, taylor wires, and a real cold air intake. Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.