View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #67 (permalink)
Honda
EcoModding Lurker

Micromachine - '94 Honda Civic DX hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
With modern fuel injection no air filter vs dirty air filter at the same partial load makes no difference other than the throttle plate will be opened a little farther with a dirty air filter. Air flow, fuel flow, and power output will all be the same.
Only at wide open throttle the clogged air filter might have a chance of becoming the controlling factor.
I disagree, the main entrance (air filter) is still restricted, you are sucking PCV pressure and possibly some engine oil as well with dirty air filter which leads to carbon build up in the intake manifold causing even more restrictions. I understand that the computer in todays cars are programmed to compensate for our laziness on maintenance and will gather information from various sensors to come up with the best air/fuel ratio. The computer will try but there is no guaranty since air (O2) is limited and requires additional energy to get it.
let's assume we have 4 cylinder engine with 1-3-4-2 firing order, if #4 cylinder is on power stroke it only needs to move 4000lbs metal with clean air filter, while with dirty air filter it also needs to push #2 cylinder harder to suck air. Take a syringe and try to pull it down with the end clogged, you will need more power to do so compared to if the end is not restricted.
I think this can apply also to blower motors. you go to the repair shop because the heater doesn't work, the mechanic found that the resistor is burned, if he is good enough he will recommend to replace the blower motor and the cabin air filter even if the motor is running, why? the resistor burned because the blower motor demanding more amps to run. it turned out clogged Mr cabin filter was behind all this mess.