View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
In priority order:
  1. 1-1.5kW inverter - emergency power as well as remote power. I've used it with a reciprocating saw to make big tree limbs into something I can drag, carry, and stack after the storms this winter.
  2. GPS+bluetooth - gives you hands free cell phone. The Chinese rear view mirror lost the bluetooth after a year; the GPS map is not upgradable, and; the rear view camera is going marginal and too low. Also, the rear view camera needs to be mounted high, looking down, say top of the rear window. Will use Garmin next time.
  3. beeping backup LED light - I like to give the pedstrians something else to ignore as they step into the path of my backing up car. My lawyers will LOVE IT!
  4. dash cam, front and back, with GPS - mounted using bungee cords to the passenger head rest, it provides empirical data about a trip and my lawyers will LOVE IT!
  5. split water noodle air inlet block - using thin bungee cords at each end, it reduces high-speed drag and shortens warm-up time below 75F. Stows on shelf above traction battery in trunk.
  6. tow bar - to hang the truck nuts and tow the Jon boat or half a ton of hay.
  7. largest diameter front tires - to give a permanent over-drive. Indicated MPG will appear to be off and you'll need to use the GPS for speed but apply the calibration constant at the pump and you'll be pleased.
  8. minimum three transaxle oil changes - to Type WS, dropping the pan, and wiping clean. Reduces wear and friction.
  9. Scangauge II or equivalent - helps to keep the car in the highest fuel efficient regions and diagnostics 'in the field' if you throw a code.
  10. mini-shop jack and jack stand - flat tires happen but it also encourages oil changes.
  11. Fumoto oil valve - makes oil changes easier so less likely to skip.
Bob Wilson