View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #49 (permalink)
CFECO
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Swapping 6.2 diesel engines out of a 82 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4, into a 84 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4...in the dirt, by myself. The Suburban motor broke a piston I think, so I had the GMC which had been a ranch truck, parked up there for a few years, it always needed starting fluid to fire ( bad mistake, ALWAYS fix the glow plugs). I pulled the Suburban on to a slight hill near the swap area, drove the GMC ( which had been running rough and smoking which I thought was a bad turbo seal) to the Harbor Freight cherry picker. I get the engine out of the GMC and use a digging bar to pry the cherry picker around in the dirt till it was out of the way so I could push the GMC down the hill by hand, alone. If I didn't jump in and get the emergency brake on soon enough, the truck would go over a 500' hill into a ravine, so I could not mess that up. Then push the Suburban to the cherry picker, pull it's engine out, pry the hoist around drop engine, hook on "new" engine now sans turbo, because it had a "Bad Seal", pry hoist ( now with a bent support leg from prying it around in the dirt) with engine into the Suburban. Get it all bolted in, wired and fired it up and realize the smoke and rough running was probably a blown head gasket from all the starting fluid. This engine swap took a week, and almost became the end of my mechanic career-hobby. I wanted to set fire to the Suburban and push the GMC off the hill, but I didn't.