View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #73 (permalink)
Teri_TX
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Bschloop,

I (and everyone else) would be very interested in some real world A-B-A testing of stall strips on an actual streamliner fairing.

Other than Theo's postings and Dutch blogs on "storm strips" (same thing), all has been theoretical musings since I first posted the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschloop View Post
I just found this thread, and I would be happy to test a "stall strip" on my fairing, As soon as the snow melts and my bike is back together. It should be only a week or two now.

Alan and Vic's bikes also have one other thing in common. They are both kawasaki ninjas underneath. It would seem that weight distribution and steering geometry might be more favourable for them compared to other setups. Craigs helix is less than ideal because of its basic design ie. low center of gravity, very small wheels. These are great bikes to compare since they all have the same fairing (for the most part)
Interesting observation. I'm not a motorcycle rider so I have no first hand knowledge and I admit I haven't considered the dynamic aspects of mass distribution. In all, motorcycle design is a very complex system dynamics problem.

Alan's latest project design lengthens the wheel base and weight distribution is changed. We'll have to see how it works out.

I understand the use of Kawisaki Ninjas as a mule due to their cheap availabilty, but for better FE, a single cylinder motor like the Honda CBR 250R's should be better. Not having a screaming engine under or in front of me would be a plus as I'm anything but a wanna be "boy racer". I hear them screaming down the highway near me often in the spring and fall here while waiting (hope?) to hear the scream suddenly stop in a crash.

-- Teri