View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Thanks for starting this thread. I hope we can learn from each other.

Wifeys 02 Ody is averaging about 21. She is very diligent about grouping trips. She goes to town (15 mins away) twice a week and groups as many errands in as possible during the day.

She is always late and trying to make up time wherever possible. Despite this she has accepted me coaching her on hypermile or ecodriving technique. As her spouse I go easy on her and try to find the easy things for her to adopt and practice. She is slowly improving her technique so it is sinking in. Adopting good driving technique is a learning process for us all. Having a coach helps.

As for mods: I switched to 215/65 tires. A little skinnier and just about the same diameter as stock tires. Pressure is 45 psi. If we didn't have a long, steep gravel drive I'd use 50 psi. Fewer punctures and better traction at 45 psi though.

Full grille block except for about 8 sq in under the license plate.

Good tip on the coasting feature, I'll practice tapping the pedal to enable coast consistently. Also, great idea on using 2500 rpm (or less) as a technique. That should be easy for her to practice with.

We have a 1200 mile road trip coming up this weekend, shooting for 28 mpg average.