View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
I had a similar response from the troglodytes in a Jeep forum when I attempted to correct misinformation about CAI, driving at higher elevation, and in warmer temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
...a "less fun" car will get you from point A to point B in almost exactly the same time (provided you obey applicable traffic laws) and that's what 99% of drivers do 99% of the time. The track is really the only place the fun car has any real advantage.
From what I can tell, California drivers believe there is a prize for passing the most people. On my trip a couple days ago, I was cruising in the far right lane of a 3 lane highway doing +10 over the speed limit, and the guy behind whacks open the throttle, whips around me with just barely enough time to exit the highway while stomping on the brakes for a stop sign.

Throughout my trip, I noticed most everyone employing the same strategy; to get in front of 1 more vehicle regardless of the amount of fuel it takes, only to stop again. I wonder if this phenomenon is found only in CA, or if other parts of the country are similar. Sure, there are bad drivers everywhere, but they tend to be the exception instead of the norm where I live.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!