View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #85 (permalink)
Teri_TX
EcoModding Lurker

Re: Tuft Testing

Hi Pete,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Otto, thanks for your suggestions, rope was the easiest and quickest way to asses effectiveness, it will be replaced by something more permanent when I'm satisfied that I've optimised the size and shape of the 'stall strip'. In the meantime, the rope or something similar will stay, I wouldn't want to be without it now.
I have a copy of 'The worlds fastest Indian', one of my favourite movies.
The rope is a very practical implementation. In fact, if it were mine, I'd leave it as nautical note, maybe a couple of loose "figure 8" knots to add to the nautical theme After all, the English have a proud naval history.

Quote:
After reading Tony Foal's article on aerodynamics (again), noting that a side wind combines with the head wind, to create an airflow at an angle to the machine. I set the fan at a 30 deg. angle from 'straight on', this seemed to have the most effect on the tufts.
30 degrees in real life would be an extreme cross wind at any reasonable forward speed. However, I do understand your reasons for this angle in this test.

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
I can't see the video but the still image clearly shows flow separation.

I also noticed you did not extend the rope up through the windscreen. I wonder if that would help too. Some may think it would be too distracting. If that's the case, maybe a clear thin plastic fence on the windscreen would not be too objectionable.

Regards,
Teri