View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
tvbd56
0.29 Cd and decreasing

Red Rocket - '90 honda CRX HF
Team Honda
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 53.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I had a similar response from the troglodytes in a Jeep forum when I attempted to correct misinformation about CAI, driving at higher elevation, and in warmer temperatures.

From what I can tell, California drivers believe there is a prize for passing the most people. On my trip a couple days ago, I was cruising in the far right lane of a 3 lane highway doing +10 over the speed limit, and the guy behind whacks open the throttle, whips around me with just barely enough time to exit the highway while stomping on the brakes for a stop sign.

Throughout my trip, I noticed most everyone employing the same strategy; to get in front of 1 more vehicle regardless of the amount of fuel it takes, only to stop again. I wonder if this phenomenon is found only in CA, or if other parts of the country are similar. Sure, there are bad drivers everywhere, but they tend to be the exception instead of the norm where I live.
I don't know about other states but here in Kali-fornia that happens EVERYWHERE. I will have people pass me at WOT on the freeway and even on city streets just to stop at the next red light. In the city I will coast up to the red light without hitting the brakes and it'll change to green and I'll be able to pass him while still coasting, then he will pass me again at WOT and the process will repeat.

There's an off ramp here in Sacramento where I can Kill the engine and EOC for 0.5 to 1 mile until i reach traffic and I have to stop. I kill the engine @ 60mph and by the time I need to hit the brakes I'll be @ 45mph-50mph. Countless times there have been people behind me that ride my ass when I kill the engine, they'll hit the gas (while going uphill), go around me, and either cut me off or just get in front of me so they can stop at the red light and be one car ahead.

It's mind boggling to me that they don't realize the way they are driving is the reason they have to fill up their tank every day.