View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #6353 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Hi Jack! I ordered 5, so there are 2 extra, so sure, you could have one. It takes 18 days for them to manufacture it, so it will be a while (specifically, it will be 18 days. haha). Also, it uses the dsPIC30F4011, so you would need a pickit 3 (or pickit 2):
Product Search

It also requires a nice regulated 24v supply. My plan is to use a cheap 30w Mean Well universal input AC-DC converter. Instead of AC, they can have any DC input in the range of 120v up to 350v or so. Actually, they work down to 25v input, but with reduced load.

The layout plan has evolved a little. Now, since I needed an enclosure anyway, I'm mounting the capacitor upside down to the aluminum enclosure, as well as to the copper bus sheets. The controller's overall height is the same as for the regular old 500amp version. 4" + thickness of base plate. The 24v supply also mounts to the enclosure, right above the board, so the wiring will be nice and short and clean. There will also now be a bend in the copper sheets. Well, just rounded at the very end. So, the sheets will look like a candy cane, with the hook part being really little, with a radius of around 0.7". The yellow outline is a 12" x 15" aluminum plate.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 03-23-2014 at 08:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MPaulHolmes For This Useful Post:
jedsmd (03-23-2014)