View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #106 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
In Montana we are sort of know for our no speed limits. Yes we do have limits again but it is common for big rigs to be 65-70 and everybody else 80 and that is not just interstates. There has been a long history of those speeds being proven safe in Montana and part of it is the added courtesy drivers showed each other when the no speed limit law was in place. Reinstalling the current limits has actually greatly increased fatalities. Montana: No Speed Limit Safety Paradox
I just wouldn't feel right being such a hindrance to traffic at much less then 65. Plus distances are great here and adding an hour or more to a trip is just not worth the extra gas when work is long and vacations are short. Maybe if I was retired.

I also question some mileage claims diesel owners seem to put out( and I used to be one with a 2005 duramax), plus where I live regular unless is 3.22 while diesel is $4.00 so 20 isn't that great. Plus they are probably talking those new Mercedes and Jeeps that cost $45-85k on top of an expensive trailer in the first place. My van is a KIA sedona worth maybe $7k and gets 22 normally at those 75-80 mph speeds. It does have good power for a minivan and we have towed our old 22' pontoon with it. I do plan on doing some comparision mpg tests once I'm done borrowing some other light campers using the same road and tow vehicle.

Last edited by Hersbird; 03-23-2014 at 12:47 PM..