View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #88 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Wink

Just a thought and advice from Pop who is almost 93 and flew a B17 in WW2. Flying in close formation for mutual protection, turbulence would make the planes bounce around quite a bit. Some pilots would fight it with control imput changes to try to avoid the bouncing in all 3 axes. Pop found out that if you just let the plane bounce around a little and kept your control imputs very small you would be fine as every plane in the formation was flying through the same turbulence. It also meant when you got back to base you had as much as 100 gallons more fuel than any one else in your group. He once flew a gal from Alabama to Virginia in an AT6 Texan. When they landed she asked him how the controls worked on the plane (trainer with dual controls). When he showed her she told him she had watched and never saw the stick move.

Moral to the story is when riding in strong crosswinds, make corrections to maintain your position, but don't try to keep a perfect line or you are fighting a loosing battle and wasting fuel. I've been hit by a 45 MPH gust on top of a bridge that really started to run me into the next lane, but I corrected enough to stay in my own lane. I still moved over probably 5 feet, but was in no danger.

Folowing this thread with interest if I run into problems with my tadpole.

Welshmen consider the English as target practice. No insult intended.

regards
Mech