View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
xecute
EcoModding Lurker

ITZOLD - '81 Ford Mustang L
90 day: 15.44 mpg (US)
This is my last post in the intro's, as I'm off building my fActory eXperimental body kit...

I'm deciding not to use a brianj body kit as such now

What is now called my DaytIMSARSX-iv project continues. The aim is about A 71% reduction form stock drag to 0.26 drag factor via the following four body engineering methods

1. It is part 1979 Mustang Daytona show car

with an Aussie Commodore SL/X bright work version of the polycarbonate front Ford used on there six Fox showcars.

That covers the DOT spec non replaceable bulb quad lamps in non smoked perspex plastic, which is legal in New Zealand. Based on the aero improvement on 1983 Falcons and Mustangs, a full front block -off of lights and grille should be a drop from approx 0.445 to 0.39.

2. Then curtain walled side perspex, aka 1980 Mustang IMSA showcar.

Based on the Renault Vera concept verses the R18, that is worth a 20% drag reduction, or approx 0.325.

3. The tilt windows of the showcar aren't practical for me, so I'm going to slot the belt line, and join polycarbonate booth windows to the existing power windows, so the curtain walls are just cladding. It will end up with a 1980 Mustang RSX showcar or production De Lorean style which copied the RSX booth window on each side.

4. Under body and wheel mods as per Probe IV. To save cost and service issues, the underneath of the car will get a David McMillan Honda CRX land speed record realty property sign to cover the underbelly totally. I think that will take down the drag factor to 0.26 without any other changes.

I do need to go to 240 section front tires on Gotti three piece rims, which will get covered with flush see through perspex. I'm still looking at 280's on the back, so I'll most likely need the SVO wheel spats.

Then I'll fashion up a legal cycle car front fender with metal and presepx, linked to the kingpin upright/axle spigot. The stock TRX wheel package can take tires anything between 190 and 240 section, and as section size goes up, so does aero drag, so the mod will probably be a minor drop in drag with the planned 240 section tires, not a major drop. The cycle car front covers are to be Probe IV style.

The funny thing is that Daytona, IMSA, RSX, and Probe IV were all 79-83 era technology in keeping with the era of my 81 Fox platform, and the production engineering was really totally done on those four cars, so its a total copy of Ford project car technology.

Last edited by xecute; 03-23-2014 at 09:21 PM..