View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Davo53209@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
My sincere apologies for clogging up your thread Davo. I've been out of the business for over a decade but I think Jasper has a better warranty. Others have posted about buying a used VX engine. I think there is even an ad in this forum for a quantity of used VX parts for sale, and if my old memory is still working they are close to your location.

Assuming your engine is not burning excess oil right now, my suggestion would be to pick up another engine and transmission. Imput shaft bearings seem to be the weak point in Honda transmissions, but Mista Bone has greater experience in that field. With another engine you could check it out, even not installed and running and have a spare, both engine and transmission.

pgfpro stated that boring a Honda block is not a good idea. He is probably right if the cylinder walls are thin enough to cause problems. Lots of VX engines were removed for no other reason than someone wanted to install a more powerful or potentially more powerful engine for performance instead of economy.

regards
Mech
No problem at all. In fact I like candid answers. To clarify, my engine doesn't appear to be giving me any problems as of YET. There are no signs or symptoms of burning any oil or the such, when in fact, it could probably go for another 100,000 miles. The point to any of this is to find the best options for myself ahead of time in preparation of worst case scenario.

For the most part, I'm first to trust the members of this forum, over some potentially shady mechanic who has no experience with these engines, who may in fact being trying to sell me a service, give me the business, and then try to send me up the creek. As far as I'm concerned, everyone's opinion here as merit.

Last edited by Davo53209@yahoo.com; 03-23-2014 at 11:26 PM..