View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #47 (permalink)
JeffM
EcoModding Lurker

Ninjette - '05 kawasaki EX250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri_TX View Post
Hi JeffM,

If I may suggest, using thin aluminum sheet or the door skins as you said for the skin will more than stiffen up the tail. Notice that monocoque airplanes generally don't have diagonal bracing between the hoop frames. You still will need to have some sort of brace to just hold up the tail.

Also, the "strringers" seem a bit beefy to me. Adding excessive weight, especially at the rear, isn't a good thing.

-- Teri

P.S. Not to toot my own horn but when you add a full front fairing, you may want to read my thread starting at: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post416335 Pete [Ironside] has "proven" that a stall strip can radically reduce side wind effects on a dust bin fairing.
Hi Teri. There is much more support structure holding the tail on including six individual tie-ins to the bike itself. In the photo the bottom part of the frame is missing. I am finalizing the bottom of the tail and most likely will reduce the depth in that area. I have some door skin ply to reenforce the sides of the cargo area.

I concur with you about the size of the stringers but I have already got to this point so I'll have to deal with some extra weight. It really is not as heavy as it looks. If I re-do the tail the next structure will be aluminum or fiberglass over pink foam monocoque.

I have been reading that thread and I am going to try to incorporate a stall strip on the tail. Craig Vetter suggested to me that they are worth trying out. I'm not sure what will be the result if I add a strip to the front wheel fairing. It may be worth a try.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

Last edited by JeffM; 03-24-2014 at 03:59 PM..