View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #57 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The OP stated earlier in this thread that he cut the top hose to install a temp sensor of some type and there was no coolant lost. He also stated that he saw no signs of leakage and regularly parked in the same spot where a leak would be obvious.

He was very low on coolant to cut the top hose and not loose anything. I have seen that low level of coolant cause temp senders to not function which could be part of the problem. I tried to gingerly walk him through a diagnostic process without slamming him with the blown headgasket possibility. I was about to recommend a quality radiator shop to get his car looked at. They could probably figure it out in less time than it takes me to write this post.

One of the things I took great pride in was my ability to explain how systems functioned to a person who had not even the most basic understanding of those systems, without appearing to be a real jerk in the process (from the others perception and no reflection on any post here). When coolant magically diasppears, head gaskets are obvious possibilities, but a top tank, or top of the radiator leak can be very subtle and not really leave any puddle under the car, which isexactly what happened on my 99 Maxima. I never overheated, but only leaked when I filled both the bottle and the radiator itself, which put pressurized liquid at the top of the system for the first time in months.

His situation may be identical . In one of his responses he posted that he had topped off the tank but he did not mention the radiator which was much more important.

I hope he gets his problem resolved without any catastrophic expense.

I don't have enough facts to draw a conclusion at this point. In my shop it would have been diagnosed in about 30 minutes.

regards
Mech