View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
And that really was the whole idea. However; I have to admit that it's tempting to act on it right away. Naturally, accessory components are extra, so I'm trying to determine which used components I should have the installer swap over to the new engine. Typically speaking, is it likely that the installer would allow such things? What should I not expect them to do?
Frank's advice is especially true in the case of an individual and his-her own car. In response to your question about what to replace if or when you have the engine done. Pay close attention to what Frank said, as well as those who have spent thousands of hours with the D series Honda engines like pgfpro.

When and if you decide to repbuild the engine. You want to replace all of the typical maintenance items that are old and could cause a problem that would endanger the engine investment. On the other side of the debate, pay attention to what Frank posted and understand that it's also excellent logic to try to get every possible mile out of everything you repair or replace on any car.

It's a catch 22 situation. Put all that money into the car and some $%^& moron slams into your rear end, the car is totalled, the insurance company says it's worth $1000, and you end up loosing alot of money. It's almost insane how many times I have seen that happen and better to be in Frank's position if it does. I guess I'm just not that lucky, bought a nice little Sentra from a customer for $500. I decided to take it for a test drive before getting all the maintenance current so it would be reliable. It had 82k miles. I drove it 5 miles and the timing belt broke, bending the valves, which meant I had to pull the head to fix it. I was so disgusted with myself I sold the little Sentra.

What are the odds that a timing belt that had been there for 82,000 miles was going to break in another 5 miles, that's just my bad luck when I try to bleed that last few miles out of any machine.

When I think of that I think of Clint Eastwood in the original Dirty Harry.

"Are you feeling lucky Punk"

regards
Mech