View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
OITW
EcoModding Lurker

UltArc, thank you, that is a helpful thread, but it isn't the thread I was looking for.

I should add, I drove an 85 S-10 4-spd and always got 25-29 MPG, never lower, never higher. It was a drunk magnet, hit three times by drunk drivers, insurance company called it totaled even when I said I would pay for the repairs, and the state confiscated it to protect us from drug dealers.

After that I drove an 87 S-10 5-spd, Iron Duke engine, and hated every second of it. Performance sucked, mileage sucked, ECM tried to kill me (it would wait until I was going through an intersection, then let me shift out of gear but prevent me from re-engaging). I sold it for $500 just to be rid of it.

Replaced it with a 94 S-10 X-cab, 5-spd, and I was happy as a clam with it. But I needed more room for my family and so I bought... an Avalanche. Sweet to drive, Hell at the pumps, long gone away. I sold the S-10 to a friend and his widow still drives it very happily.

While I know the old S-10s and would feel comfortable with one, I have two teenagers and need room for them as well. So I'm expanding my horizons. Since I have poor expectations for fuel mileage to begin with, I'm also very interested in reliability. I need to be able to haul 8 ft lumber, 4x8 sheets, refrigerators. In the meantime, for general driving I will start scouting for some of the older Hondas. Anything to replace this PT Cruiser.