View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Suggestions for modifying a Station Wagon?

Supposing I have such a car (And I do have the idea for one, This is idea-talk that may blossom) what could I do to it for MPG over 35? Pictured is a 1990s Roadmaster. I'm thinking of doing mods to a 1996 model.

I was thinking of replacing the motor with a Diesel, Running it on Biodiesel and putting a Manual transmission in it and some LRR tires for summer and maybe a larger fuel tank. Combined with adjustments to the nut behind the wheel and engine tunings, What would you say I can get out of this? I think I can get 33 MPG HWY easily in such a car, Knowing that the Diesels from 1978-1985 (With the body shape of the car pictured below) are rated by the EPA to get 26 HWY and I've heard of people getting 29 MPG HWY in them.

The Roadmaster is already more aerodynamic than the previous-generation Boxy-Body wagons so that already helps. I think were I to swap an engine I'd already be seeing 30 MPG HWY, And if it has a manual transmission does another 3 MPG higher sound right? Adding some LRR tires and other various mods (Roof-rack delete, Boat-tail or partial kammback attached to roof-rack holes, Rear wheel-well skirts and power steering on/off switch, Weight reduction without removing seats or the spare tire) I think I'd be seeing 36 HWY at least. How does that sound to you? I have already seen 28.5ish MPG HWY in a 2000 Dodge Caravan 3-Litre, And that's mostly going over 60 MPH and sometimes upwards of 70 on on Ohio trip.

Thoughts? Other than "Get a different car" that is. I'm asking for suggestions to modify a Station Wagon, Not a Mini Cooper.

Last edited by 101Volts; 03-27-2014 at 09:33 PM..