View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #42 (permalink)
Teri_TX
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Tesla has to enter the market that exists, and they have to succeed - before they can change it.

Tesla buyers "get" $7500 of tax credit, not $25K.

How much is oil subsidized by? I daresay most of our military budget is an oil subsidy, and the big oil companies have been earning the largest profits *ever* while paying tiny taxes. They get sweetheart deals on drilling leases, and they barely pay anywhere near the cost of the most rudimentary cleanups of the disasters they spew. Would you rather live next to a refinery or a wind farm? Or even live next to a gas station vs a Supercharger station?
Most people that complain about subsidies are completely ignorant of the subsidies given industries by the "evil" government. I and everyone on this forum would still be sending snail mail if it were not for the government (military) deciding a fault tolerant communication network was needed in case of a nuclear war (an unfortunate technological development). Airplanes were subsidized first by the US mail and military purchases. We wouldn't have integrated circuits (at least several decades sooner) and personal computers without NASA and the military having a need and the money to subsidize the industry. The list goes on and on ...

If your power comes from a nuclear, it's subsidized. Who really pays for the Air Traffic Control (ATC) system? The airlines don't even come close to paying for it. Who paid for the Interstate highway system?

Now, "Wingers" complain about solar subsidies but are silent about those to the oil industry. The government is trying to "kick start" the solar industry and it appears it's relatively successfully. Yes, some fail but few of you on this forum know how many mainframe computer companies there once were. All were trying to get the government to buy theirs. NASA bought quite a few, even bought one from General Mills!!!! Yes! The makers of cereal and other manufactured "food stuff".

Don't try to tell me the government hasn't ALWAYS subsidized industries. Private industry is so "conservative" that "if Grandpappy did it that way, then that's good enough". Well, maybe grandpappy's only tool was a hammer and everything looked like a nail. Private industry? Ha! Most "private industry" operates on private profits and socialized risk.

Neil is right. However, have you personally heard the noise made by wind turbines? Rather startling how much noise they make. Given the choice of living next to a wind turbine farm or a refinery, I'd take the wind turbines and their noise (not that refineries are quite).