View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Alright, back to work! Winter is going away and I've been doing some highway trips. The whole, I'm thinking "Man, I'd save a few bux if I had that damn shell done already..."

One of the hold-ups was how to do a new rear view setup. I was going to do some acrylic window, which added further complexity to the design. Because I want to take out the original factory window to save some weight, I need something that can go on right away. Not that acrylic is gonna be that big of a deal, but I wanted simpler, if possible.

So, I did a bit of Amazon shopping. I found a decent small camera and LCD Monitor. I'll be replacing the rear view with that.

This also gives me real estate for some solar paneling. Also, keeping the rigid foam, more insulation from the hot summer days and cold winter nights.

So that should be here shortly, and I'll do some testing to make sure it's gonna do what I think I want it to.

Next up: Trying to get the sides done. It's a lot of work doing layer after layer, so I think I'm just gonna "fill the gaps" with expanding foam. This should be good enough until a layer of glass goes over the top.

Still trying to find where I can get some epoxy based resin to keep from eating the foam. Is there anything more common that can be used, like polyurethane floor covering or some sort of glue? Doubt it, but worth asking.