View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #79 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuehl View Post
Mr. Dave, I've actually got a MPGuino sitting on my desk at home(been there for months! ).
I hear you on that! I think I still have the MPGuino (built, but no enclosure) that I bought to put in my CRX. And I haven't owned the CRX in over 2 years...

Bone, I'm saying your research was OK for the time but is not accurate enough. I personally went from under 30 MPG per tank in the CRX to over 50 MPG, just by changing the way I drove. Unless you know the conditions were identical, and the way you drove were completely identical, your comparisons have a very significant margin of error.

If you'd like I can mail you my MPGuino, once I find the thing. Installation would be up to you, of course.

"Target speed" for maximum efficiency is pretty much always "as slow as you can stand to go in your top gear". Lower RPM may be more efficient per squirt of fuel, but with taller gears you are traveling farther for every RPM--for every squirt of fuel. You have to be a lot more efficient per RPM to make up for turning less RPM. And I don't think that's the case for most reasonable situations.

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
user removed (03-30-2014)