View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 05:09 AM   #80 (permalink)
Mista Bone
EcoModding Lurker

"I'm a good driver"

Funny, since the movie was partly filmed where I live, but it is the truth. I learned through MANY miles of driving what MY car liked by reading analog gauges before the MPGuino was ever thought of. If one was to dig through the posts on DSO you'd find the gauge I wanted, using info from ECU, with minor calculation, is all the MPGuino does. Which is why I want one! As good as I think my driving is, it likely could be better.

I drove a buddies 95 Civic CX HB several times on our Detroit trips. He was getting 38-40 mpg in 5th gear at 65-70 mph. I was getting 45-46 doing the same trip due to my better driving style. He wouldn't look far enough ahead and would have to get off the gas and hit the brakes due to traffic. If you have ever seen me post about a cattle prod, it was because I wanted to use it on Ryan to better his driving.

Now for the fun fact. I made the trip in 4th gear, driving my style and the car topped 50 mpg. Ryan never got better than 42 mpg on same trip.

I'm already getting close to 50 mpg in the CRX, only real mod for MPG so far is LRR Ecopia EP100's. I really wanna play with some pipe insulation that someone started using here.

The big key is my old car is I was able to take the rpm it was happy at and refine it further. Aero drag being what it is, I'm sure better MPG could have been had....if I had the time then to drive slower. Now I have that time.

I also know with the motors I'm working with it is VERY easy to do engine damage from detonation by lugging the engine at too low of rpm even before my tweaking.

Some of the mods being done here, in the name of better MPG, IMHO are causing possible damage. Esp. in older cars (like mine) that don't have a reliable knock sensor.

A) I will NOT give up any performance capabilities of the CRX in the name of better MPG, period.
B) Combined with what I have done in the past, with what others are doing here now, I really think merging the info I can get some insanely good mpg numbers.

Also factor in I've driven close if not more than one million miles so far. Honestly, I cannot wait to create new data points, I know there is more possible.