View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #75 (permalink)
dustyfirewalker
EcoModding Lurker

i didnt mean to step on toes when i posted here, i just hope it doesnt wind up in the "corral" but if mods want to move it thats ok..

as far as weight goes im 6'5" 230 lbs and i can pick up and move around the fully assembled short block as i did building it on my work bench assembling, checking bearing clearance, driving cam bearings in, pressing pistons+rods in, setting timing chain, ect.. then lifting and holding it up while someone threaded the "all thread" that i cut with grade 8 nuts to the engine stand so i could do heads and top end/ oil pan/ valve covers. its really not that heavy, but i dont feel like picking it up with the heads and intake on it (another 170lbs ishh) lol after i build the long block ill usually use the tractor do all the lifting (and put the transmission + transfer case on, which i can pick up aswell). so as far as the rotational assembly really being THAT BIG i mean it weighs nothing compared to the car, and with the low gear 4x4 + 1st gear i can tie it to a tree and idling it just digs a hole. i destroyed the rear end dumping the clutch doing burn outs, ive hit 110mph with this configuration on i40 and i35, its not just a sluggish land yacht, it could easily kill you if you disrespect it, sitting with 9" of lift and 37's isnt the biggest/fastest out there but it is fun to drive and works well for where and how fast i ask it to go.

i like the 460 alot better than the 351 it had, and the 5 speed/vs c6 is great if your not stuck in traffic, id rather be over axled than under if im going to try and have any fun offroad besides idling around, and the run flats are great peace of mind ontop of my fullsize runflat spare. it is an offroad vehicle that i will admit can blow through gas if you want, but thats what im really trying to fix, if it runs practically for free i dont care about mpg. its not my daily driver, its my money pit right now and when its done hopefully it can run on junk so i can reduce operating costs and start the next project.

ps:

wheels are hummer MAG runflats w 37x12.5 r16.5s, axles are 4.10 locked rear, sterling + dana 60 (manual hubs), bronco driveshsafts, the Tcase is BW 1356, transmission is a zf5speed, 460 efi heads and top end with carb retrofitted for testing( i could go back to efi if i wanted), 2.5" true duals with no CAT + flowmaster 40's side dumped.

Last edited by dustyfirewalker; 03-28-2014 at 11:34 PM..