View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
p&g engine on manual transmission

Well I got a obd2 Bluetooth and the torque pro app for my 2002 Subaru Forester and have started trying different techniques. I have a short 3.5 mile commute that has 7 stoplights, mostly a 35 mph speed limit with a bit of 45, and takes me about 10 minutes, and mostly busy traffic. Over the last 5 trips I have averaged 23mpg according to the guage with a worst of 20 and a best of 25 for a single trip (actually off rush hour on an extra trip I got a 30 but caught every light, so not counting that) using a mild p&g keeping the engine on just pushing in the clutch for a glide. I end up keeping up with traffic as I only drop about 5 mph at a time and then make up the gap. It seems to do better then just keeping steady and then coasting if a light goes red. The gauge says it only uses .3 gph at idle and actually for a few secs of the coast it reads 0 gph. I usually can't use 5th gear unless that 45 mph sec is moving well and I just sort of 1/2 throttle the pulse in 4th most of the time. I'm going to try some more steady driving for a few days next week but doing things the old way I usually only got 200 miles with a 10 gallon fill. If the gauge is right and I can get 23-25 constantly it seems worth it. I still have the studded tires on and have done no mods to the car.