View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
more gears=more clutch wear? nah. If you get a lower first gear out of the deal you will actually save more clutch as getting rolling is where the wear is at normally (and where %100 of the wear is at if it shifts automatically).
Exactly, gear changes are extremely easy on the clutch compared to starts and closer ratios could mean less clutch wear per shift.

I think the idling gear meshes could be mitigated with smarter oiling. As I understand a lot of transmissions have the gears completely bathed in oil. Even if that's wrong, I don't think idling gears consume much power, and the weight penalty isn't even that bad. The Toyota C60 for example is only 10 pounds more than the C5x transmissions, which is less than the weight of the extra clutch packs and pumps of an automatic transmission alone or solenoids in a DCT/SMG.

My driving is half city/stop and go, half highway cruising so I value closer ratios, but people who live further from cities and do more constant speed driving would understandably not mind having less gears as long as the highest gear is good.