View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
don't mean to get snarky.....but what you just said flys in the face of what the industry is doing.
Gears are a gimmic, sort of like adding mystery oil to your gas, they have their purpose, especially in terms of lame brain automatics but the reality is that the gains in MPGs that I see between historic WELL BUILT 4 speed OD Autos and these 7,8,9 speeds is that there has been little or no gain. There is obviously a gain but generally the transmissions are coupled with even larger, heavier options. Only place I see this as being good is around town but only if the car will upshift as high as possible.

The key to understand is that what is MOST EFFICIENT, AKA a direct drive manual transmission with few moving parts, is NOT the most efficient at all loads and would also affect acceleration and performance in various bands.

All this said I like having a well designed 5 speed manual with a WIDE set of ratios, a 4 would likely work as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
(because an 8 speed Lexus automatic transmission is good for 150-200,000 miles)
I fail to see how that is "good" or applicable to this conversation, all autos I've owed excluding ones that "needed replacement" on purchase of said vehicle have lasted that long, but then again I avoid Dodge and Ford and 80's chevy OD XMSNs.

Lately I won't own autos, exception would be a Prius or a Volt where there is not alternative.