View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Thanks for the info, BarelyAWake. I guess I'll keep the Magic Pie in mind, but I'm leaning towards the ~$250 ebay kits. They're almost half the price of the MP3+shipping and I haven't seen really any complaints about them.

I checked out my Walmart's bike selection, only 3 bikes with front discs, a 26", 27.5", and 29". I pulled the 26" Genesis V2100 off the rack to check the frame size and it was well into my groin even with me on my toes (I'm only 5' 4"). Seemed like a decent enough bike, but way too tall for me. I didn't even try the other two because they looked just as bad for frame size.

I also went to the bike shop where I bought my current bike, a 26" Giant Revel 3, to check with them how much a disc conversion would be. They pretty much confirmed what I'd read online. It would cost nearly as much as another decent bike after the fork, wheel, and brakes.

So now I'm kind of stuck. The v-brakes on my bike are fine right now, but many people recommend disc brakes for an ebike, especially at the speeds I'm shooting for. I would much rather buy another bike that has disc brakes than spend about the same amount to add them to my bike, but it would be even better to use my existing bike as it is.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
sidecar (08-11-2014)