View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
You don't need a Tahoe to tow that trailer. My grandparents used a full-sized sedan, a Dodge Monaco, to tow their '66 Empress throughout the U.S., Mexico and Canada.

If you wish to reduce the yearly average fuel consumption of this second or third vehicle, then a current Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger would fit the bill. And, more importantly, provide a more stable towing experience, not just better braking or fuel burn than any truck or truck-based tow vehicle [TV].

I think you are already on Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community, and, if so may be familiar with threads of this nature. I bring it up for those who are also considering a TT of this type (all-aluminum, lightweight, aerodynamic; and of higher build quality than Airstream).

I'd say that attending to TV tire/wheel choice along with the quality of the lash-up of TV & travel trailer [TT] is part of the mechanical baseline that will, ideally, reduce the number of steering corrections due to road irregualrities and winds, and reduce the amount of braking force as well as in duration. This will add considerably to FE.

Were I to use a Tahoe, then the police-spec version would be my ideal (as we used the police-spec Dodge Police Pursuit for imspriation in the 1960s and '70's as TV). Can't carry much and is likely somewhat compromised for towing, but your TT is not an average TT as you aware. Its' suspension, tires/wheeels and brakes deserve as much, if not more attention for best articulated-rig performance. As should your hitch, where a "virtual pivot point" type (ProPride or Hensley) is much preferred.

" . . I have stock sized Michelin tires, 265/70R17 on the stock Z71 wheels. When towing I run at 41 PSI, around town usually at 35 PSI."
I'd ask Andrew Thomson of CAN AM RV what they have used (London, ON) and look, again, to police spec. You'll want to know tire loads

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

As to other specifics, the grille block won't really be good for towing outside of freezing weather, and perhaps not then. More than one power steering pump has been lost in horsing a TT into a space in cold weather by the lack of fan airflow and overheated that component. Etc.

Records are what matter most, and a complete set of scaled weights is part of your laudable pursuite of best FE. Seen from only a slight distance, safety will also be improved.

WOODALLS: Ron Gratz Weight Scale Chart

Look forward to more.

Last edited by slowmover; 04-06-2014 at 10:29 PM..