View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

I agree Grant-53, the difficulty being with the motorization of a bicycle not only do speeds increase, usage (distance) does as well - both drastically accelerating the "normal" wear of any parts that function via friction, including disc brake pads & rotors. However, when your "rotor" is your rim itself the consequences can be a bit more troublesome.

Here's some of my earlier lessons regarding the long-term usage of rim brakes with motor assisted bicycles;

...and the result of single-wall rims;

Miraculously, these "lessons" were relatively painless for me & again, for localized, low speed and/or intermittent use rim brakes will suffice. I hope I don't seem presumptuous as I only hope to spare others the trouble, expense & potential injury I've caused myself by mine ignorance - particularly when the alternative if preemptive is so comparatively inexpensive.

Two very reputable, low cost double wall rim & disc brake wheel vendors I've had great satisfaction with - I generally buy the rims alone & lace to existing hubs, or other aftermarket hubs of better quality;

Alex Rims (or Alexrims)
Amazon.com: Alex Rims: Sports & Outdoors

Weinmann
Amazon.com: Weinmann: Sports & Outdoors

I do so greatly prefer to learn from the errors of others, as I do still make so many of my own lol

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 04-07-2014 at 04:59 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to BarelyAWake For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (04-09-2014)