View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
autoarcheologist
EcoModding Lurker

Clipper - '80 American Clipper 21' Rear Kitchen

Mercedes - '05 Mercedes Benz E320 Wagon, base
Darcane, thanks for the info. Great to know that 20+ is possible, although you have the smaller V8 and lower gears, so it won't be that easy for me. But finding the efans and a chin spoiler shouldn't be hard. I do have the z71 package, so I might just have to fabricate a spoiler if the stock one doesn't fit the Z71 bumper.

Hersbird, if you're just getting into towing do yourself a favor and read up on this site: www dot canamrv.ca/hitch-hints/

slowmover referenced Andy's work above, and as a mechanical engineer I have to agree with his conclusions. You're right that you don't need something as big as a Tahoe, honestly your Sedona will tow almost anything you could build just fine. But if you're going to trade it, a minivan would be a great, stable tow vehicle bceause they have a low CG, have a long wheelbase to rear overhang ratio for stability, and independent rear suspension for better handling. They're also typically a bit smaller than an SUV for less drag. I say start with what you've got to keep the project simpler.

As for me, we drove 380 miles from Zion to LA today, towing the whole way into a nasty headwind. We averaged 12.4 MPG and 53 MPH, which included a slog through Las Vegas for lunch at Baja Fresh. We thought about driving down the strip, but settled for driving across it as traffic was brutal and we had another 4 hour drive ahead of us.

The first leg of the trip I averaged 12.7 MPG before hitting Vegas, this was with me trying to keep it under 60. At some point my wife took over and drove faster, but since it seemed to be more downhill after lunch we picked up a few tenths.

I will get a photo of the trailer and Tahoe and post it.