View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
The only other thing that caught my attention was the O2 sensor situation and stalling while driving. I had a lot of problems with my HX O2 sensor, and still have problems with the EGR valve. The symptoms you described before you fixed the EGR where exactly what I was going through with the O2 sensor.

The EGR system is responsible for controlling HC's, but I thought that was only during lean burn operation. Unlike the VX, the HX EGR is electronically controlled. In fact, I have it unplugged and the car still runs fine, unlike your car which seemed to not like when the vacuum line was switched or pinched. So maybe there is still an EGR issue and that could possibly explain the high HC's. Your second test improved when you fixed the EGR, but have all the problems gone away?

Could you possibly borrow or find a wideband O2 sensor + gauge? This would allow you to read the A/F mixture and know for sure if it is within spec. Until then we are just speculating on what the engine is doing, it might be helpful to know the exact mixture that is going into the cylinders, maybe that will shed some light on the situation.