View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
MechEngVT
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.18 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
sohl, I was referring to the cross-bars from the roof rack, not the bars that run along the length of the roof on either side. I haven't removed them and not sure if I ever will get around to looking at it. I'm sure there will likely be some holes to plug which is another reason I may not try.

Honda calls their engine-braking feature Hill Descent Control and it doesn't always engage. You can manually engage it if you're going downhill and use the brake to reduce your speed by a couple MPH, and then release the brake the ECU will use HDC to hold a lower gear in lockup to stop the vehicle from coasting up to a higher speed. You can cancel this by accelerating briefly. I haven't read it, but the owner's manual should describe it in detail. It was one of the geeky features my dad was excited about when they bought their 99 (back when there was a ~6 month waiting list for them).

I find that the HDC only kicks in to stop a downhill coast if you have had to slow down for a vehicle ahead or for a sharp bend in the road. If you lift off the accelerator and crest a hill in a straight line you should freely coast downhill.

beatr911: have any pics of that grille block? What brand tires did you use in the narrower size? Our van still has stock size tires, but they're Michelin...whatever they called their "efficiency" tire before X-radial (MXV4?) I think.

I don't think any of the shocks have been replaced but I've noticed it's a bit roll-happy in the rear on rapid cornering. It sags a little in the rear too but I don't expect that shocks would do anything for it.