View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #66 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Leg #1 - Trip to Watkins Glen

The trip from Colton, NY to the Green Grand Prix took about 6.5 hours with pit stops included. Going down I-81 was the first "Interstate" the Centurion has ever driven down since its creation. It was tempting to unleash all 17 horsepower but I thought better of it. The head and side winds were incredible the entire way judging by other traffic swerving. It was less of an issue for the Centurion. I pretty much stayed at 52 mph the entire trip.
-
Sitting about 5 inched off the road the view is not exactly breath taking. In fact, looking from the bottom up, I could see alot of potential improvements some of the passing 18 wheelers could make on their undersides. A lifelong friend of mine harnessed lodging and was also kind enough to volunteer as the chase car which left about an hour behind, and caught up by the time we landed in Ithaca.
-
The on-board dvr and 4 cameras ran the entire time and I had to remind myself not to pick thy nose.
-
Watching the sight glass on the 2 gallon tank over that timeframe was completely anti-climatic. What was climactic was arriving at the hotel in Horseheads and seeing enough fuel above fuel outlet line to chance making it another 20 minutes or so to the Green Grand Prix official morning re-fuel at Valero!
-
With what seemed like a few minutes, Sheepdog 44 silently arrived from Mass - incredible timing! He must've booked 1st class as it looked like pizza was served on that flight - I guess when ecomodding is on your mind it's easy to spot a member in the parking lot.
-
I brought a big piece of plastic since rain was predicted for that night and the weather proofing is not exactly completed on this project. The mid-esction of the car was wrapped and put to bed. Going to bed early wasn't really beneficial. Going over a thousand details on little sleep since Tuesday... The saving grace:
-
Centurion just had the run of it's life and the fun was just beginning!!!
-
This saga will continue.....
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-04-2018 at 09:55 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
Jyden (04-13-2014), mikeyjd (05-11-2014), sheepdog 44 (04-13-2014), SoobieOut (04-13-2014), UltArc (04-12-2014)