View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

As mentioned, the engine was heavily modified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I dont know how on gods green earth you got 21mpg out of that. My parents had a '93 15 passenger witht the 360 2bbl tb injection and if it got better that 15 you considered yourself lucky. It was the family vehicle and also the youth group hauler. Lasted forever though, over 250,000 miles, only trouble was keeping transmissions in it while driving through the mountains whith every seat filled and pulling a uhaul trailer of equipment.

My car will do 28mpg x 3 people = 84 pmpg
It was an early form of the Chrysler "lean-burn" engines. At cruise, it ran at 18:1 AFR. Your later van had the closed loop 3 way catalyst and so could not run such a set up. The intake consisted of a CARB legal Holley spread bore as a replacement for the Carter Thermoquad sitting atop an Edelbrock SP2P manifold. An Accel ignition fired the fuel mixture. BlackJack headers cleaned out the exhaust into an oversized catalytic converter ( two way ). An Edelbrock "mileage cam" produced less overlap and more effective cylinder pressure. The EGR valve was blocked off and replaced by a full time digital water injection ( 7 gallons water used for every 40 gallons of gasoline ).

An early digital fuel economy readout ( fuel flow meter and driveshaft sensor ) along with the good old vacuum gauge helped the driver stay in the sweet spot for mileage gains. As already mentioned, the 55 mph national speed limit was still in effect and that was the maximum speed for most of the trip. 65 PSI was the tire pressure.

This particular van came equipped with a "heavy duty towing package" that included a larger radiator and transmission cooler. At just over 200,000 miles, both the engine and transmission were still doing fine until emissions caught up to the modified set up and the vehicle was parked behind the shop where it still resides.

Last edited by RustyLugNut; 04-13-2014 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: Additional.