View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
bs25942
EcoModding Lurker

A.J. - '04 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 41.47 mpg (US)

bruce - '08 Kawasaki Ninja 650 R
90 day: 46.52 mpg (US)

Big Blue - '09 Ford F-150 LX
90 day: 17.33 mpg (US)

dr - '13 Kawasaki DR650
90 day: 55.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Great work. Thanks for sharing.

I had a somewhat similar Kamm on my Civic, RIP. I'm considering doing this again on my current DD, a '96 Accord DX sedan.

I always have detail questions, so here goes:

The basic shell is 2 mm coroplast, right? It looks like a sharper bend than coroplast would allow. Did it crease when you forced the bend, or how did that go? Did you heat or knife-slit the coroplast so it would bend? I assume you ran the coroplast channels front to rear.

What size is the 10 mm. thick coroplast rectangle? You actually found 10 mm coroplast? Or did you duct-tape layers together like I would do?

You don't have a genius way to open the trunk without removing the Kamm, do you?

Duct tape hint:
I use 3M's Tough duct tape, which is labeled as being non-residue. The fine print says you can leave it on 6 months and peel it off with no residue. I took mine off after 1.5 years, it had some residue but not a nasty mess like regular duct tape leaves behind. It has a very dark kahki green color. Too bad it's not black, would be perfect for your car! It costs about $11/roll but is excellent stuff.
The 2mm layer has the channels running side to side. I ran a small rope connected to each side and slowly cinched it while heating the coroplast. I still have the rope holding the bend just right. The 10 mm ractangle is ~2ftX4ft. The 4ft length runs front to back. I was lucky enough to find a real estate sign that was 10mm thick and very rigid. As for using the trunk, i was going to cut the Kamm from side to side right above the trunk hinge. I was going to add two hinges and rollers resting on the trunck lid to slide over as the trunck opens. Bungey cord would then keep the Kamm sprung down tight. Too much work for me though so i just use the trunk from thw inside. And thanks for the duct tape idea. I will give it a try on the edge of the Kamm to seal it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bs25942 For This Useful Post:
brucepick (04-18-2014), Xist (04-14-2014)