View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnpikeCruiser View Post
I was trying to do the same thing with my boxy boat at one time. Just overall driving like an old man got me 23-25mpg. I had the computer read 28mpg at one time, but rush hour killed that quick.

Do you know what kind of ratio gears are in the rear? If you're cruising on the highway mostly, 2.73s or even 2.55s will do nicely with a 4 speed auto.

I had skirts on my Marq, but that was before I was worrying about gas mileage and they got ripped off after an accidental off-road adventure.
I think they're 2.73s, Going by Automobile-Catalog.com.

I once had a grille block on this car but didn't check the economy while it was on since it wasn't driven much. The one tank I have logged in the Garage as of this post time is the first tank-to-tank measurement I ever got in this car, Before that we just did partial fill-ups.

I'm interested in the rear skirts and a belly pan. I'm also open to a Diesel with Manual Transmission conversion, But would like to do some other mods first and maybe get new tires; These things are probably 22 years old. (It sat in my grandmother's garage for a long time before we got it.)

Also, Here's a thought; Converting it into a hatchback for aerodynamic and storage purposes. Can I replace the rear seats with middle seats from a station wagon so they can be lowered for even more storage, Too? It's a thought, At least. I have the thought of adding a trailer hitch too, But I don't know what I'd tow with it.

And again, Would removing the pollutant controls from the car increase the economy? The car is already stinky upon start-up compared to newer cars, But I'm curious.

Also, I imagine I can add an air-bag system. And this car doesn't have cruise control as-is, I think that can be added too.

What is an induction system...?

*google search time*