View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Less the engine has to work, the less fuel it needs to consume..
I don't agree. The Prius has a smaller engine than most that works WAY harder than most, which makes the car efficient. The idea is that if you use a smaller engine that is working at its peak (moving the car, charging batteries, or whatever), it will be more efficient than a larger engine not working at its peak. An engine is most efficient at WOT at peak torque RPM, in terms of energy produced compared to fuel burned. Unfortunately, at WOT peak torque, any car currently produced will be accelerating vigorously producing way too much energy.
I just came back from a road trip where I drove the steepest, hilliest highway known to man, the Coquihalla (BC, Canada). Lots of time is spent going up 8-9% grades (to 2 summits) and coasting down the backside. Fuel economy always ends up being the best in this situation because the engine is working at peak torque uphill, and coasting down (using zero fuel). My normal 44 mpg (imp) went to over 50 mpg during this segment. Anyway, that's off topic. Back to my questions please.

James