Thread: Nitrogen tires
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #101 (permalink)
ssnsvibe09
hypermiller somewhat.....

Sierra - '13 GMC 1500 SLE
90 day: 12.24 mpg (US)

Cruze Eco - '15 chevrolet Cruze Eco
Team Chevy
90 day: 46.52 mpg (US)
Absolutely, I am talking perfect world mathamatics, but from the reading that I have gone through.... Apparently for every 3 N2 molecules that are lost through permation, 10 O2 modecules are gone. Imagine over the course of several years filling 1 or 2 PSI of atmosophere, the concentration would approach purity and it was free.

The avid maintainer usually top up 1 or 2 PSI a month, where the folks that have nitrogen filled tire, many only check once a year with limited risk. That is the only real advantage in my opinion. I do have personel experience with respect to the N2 option.

I have both variations here, my truck has N2 filled by the manufacturer. my car had it for a while when I got my P4's installed but is was a hassle to get topped up even just every 6 months. I had to practically make an appointment to get topped up... About 1/2 hour of my time each visit. as I stood around and waited for the bay to open up.

I currently top up with normal atmosheric air in both vehicles. it is free and only takes 2 minutes one a month.

Maybe we need to get somebody with set of old tires that are still be used and maintained with normal air and get a gas sample test done.

My bet is 23 dollars (the cost of N2 in Nova Scotia per set of tires), on the fact that the concentration of N2 in those tires are very high, well beyond 79% and I would support a bet at 95% and up.

The real question in my mind is how many topups it would take to equate the concentration?

How has a gas detector, and some time on there hands?