Thread: Nitrogen tires
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #112 (permalink)
ecomodded
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
I'm totally unfamiliar with how a tire actually wears and why. Does the amount of heat generated by normal highway or city driving affect how fast the tire wears to any significant degree? If it did, a tire gas that transferred heat from the tire to the wheel might have some benefit for tire longevity over the years. Say getting 55k miles instead of 50k or something like that. Just a thought I had.

6 in 1 hand 1/2 dozen in the other

If the brakes are warm and the rim transfers heat well it will get the warmth then the tire will get the heat.

If the rim does not transfer heat well the tire will retain more of the road generated heat

I use my brakes so infrequently that they do not get hot - most people ride their brakes obsessively, so air ducts on the brakes and aluminum rims to transfer heat away from the tire may well be better at keeping heat down and the tires from overheating- they can get hot after a long run on a hot day.

I think you will find the gas in the tire a non factor as the gas heat transfer rate is canceled out by the rubbers heat transfer rate, the rubber sets the speed of transfer the gas will get a constant heat regardless of its transfer speed of the gas as it gets canceled or superseded in seconds by the rubbers constant heat.