View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
What are the revs like on the highway? With a strong V8 and travelling at lower speeds 55mph there could be some room to run skinnier tires all around and taller tires in the rear to lower final drive revs. Warm air intake, front air dam, wheel covers on the front, partial grill block, some belly pans maybe.
Equipment-wise it doesn't have a gauge for the RPMs so how can I tell what the general neighborhood is - By ear? I think it sounds as if it's puttering along easily and well on the highway in overdrive. And I know people call some cars "Tired" if they're running poorly, I don't think the engine in this car is one of them though I'm not experienced with that yet at least.

Also, While riding this car on the highway at 60 MPH or higher the hood starts vibrating due to wind turbulence. Is that normal for these cars?

The odometer is accurate to a tenth of a mile too, And so I'm wondering if changing the tire size would effect this. I've heard that happens if someone put big enough tires on a car.

I didn't think of the WAI before, Thanks for that. What is involved? Maybe I should get a repair book for this car and remove the mud flaps? It seems the flaps scrape roads when pulling in or out frequently.

I think I should look into this a lot more than I have been if I want to get above 25 MPG in it while still using the gas engine. All my questions are revealing how little I know, Oh glory! I'm not bothered by it though, Questions show answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Just cutting the trunk away to turn it into a hatchback wouldn't be so aerodynamically-efficient as a Kammback.
Oh. Well when I said "Hatchback" I meant modifying the whole body so it looks like it has a very long hatch on the back, Though in hindsight I think I'd make it shorter now; There would be a long bed behind the back seats and those rear seats would be changed to station wagon seats so they can be lowered for extra storage space and this would probably involve having a shop do it because the car would need painted again. That's what I was thinking at least, I didn't sketch it out and didn't think of how exactly I'd do it - It's just a theory so far.

Last edited by 101Volts; 04-16-2014 at 11:50 PM..