View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
autoarcheologist
EcoModding Lurker

Clipper - '80 American Clipper 21' Rear Kitchen

Mercedes - '05 Mercedes Benz E320 Wagon, base
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

A TT is always trying to pass the TV. Nature of the beast, of this type of articulated rig. Things boil down to tires. If the load (pressure) is ideal, then much else is quite good, in short. But MUCH goes into ensuring maximum time at TT being aligned with TV. Not so easy (given resistance by RV'ers to sort and correct). Life is easiest on tires (for a given roadway) if mechanical and aero are best. And inputs by driver are short in time and distance to effect changes (and corrections are minimized to the point of nearly-not-existing by combined vehicle lash-up given best design/components). Make sense?

Trip sounds great, and FE looks good. That was an average speed given, correct? The number that matters is at trip end.

Yup, totally makes sense. I'm happy to chase small changes (brake drag etc) in the name of big changes. I love mucking in the details if it's measurable.

The trip was awesome, and all things considered overall F.E. wasn't bad.

I do remind myself that although % of time spent towing is high on the Tahoe, overall use is low. We drive it less than 10k miles per year, 3-4k per year the last two years have been towing. Since we got back it hasn't moved, I've driven the Alfa or Saab which both get 20+ MPG city.

So for me I think the better metric is not MPG on any vehicle, but overall # of gallons of gas we use per month/year. Throwing $2000 at a truck to save $100 a year just doesn't make sense. And I rarely keep anything longer than 3 years, especially now that we have a dealers license.

Back to details. Tires on the trailer are LT rated Hankooks (I think). I read so much about ST tire problems we went for LT. I keep them just under 50 PSI and haven't had so much as a slow leak yet. I check them before every long tow day and after a few hours. Tires on the truck are Michelin, P rated but extra load. Not sure what load rating that equates to...

The trailer is due for a bearing packing. I will have them check axle alignment as well at the time.

VPP hitch? Propride?

Thanks!
Ian